Today Apple released the new MacBook. Several things to point out:
1. It comes in white and in a black! Cool. I wonder if the white is that cool “ivory” white like the first white iBooks…
2. FireWire is included and therefore not dead. 😉
3. Larger trackpad to deal with larger screen. For me, and others with large hands, this is a bummer. The palm of each hand touches the track pad on each side, which makes the OS think I’m two finger scrolling. This makes my cursor disappear and then there’s a delay when I go to use the mouse as the OS figures out that I’m no longer scrolling. I hope Apple fixes this in some future OS update.
4. Glossy screens. Just a few weeks ago my Dad asked me why his buddy’s PC laptop had this shiny screen while his PowerBook’s screen was not. I explained that this was for in store sales. I believe that glossy sells better on the show floor, even though in actual use the reflection is worse. I’m guessing Apple choose to go with glossy because of this. I don’t think they’ll ever go glossy on their Pro series. Update: You can get a glossy screen for the MacBook Pro as a build to order option!
5. The keyboard is new, “MacBook features a unique new keyboard design that sits flush against the bed for a sleeker, lower profile. Plus, you’ll find a firmer touch when typing. That ought to make your fingers happy.” Uh, sounds like some marketing spin… Before you buy, head down to your local Apple store and try out the keyboard first. I know I will.
6. IR port moved to the right hand side, rather than the center.
7. No latches or buttons to press on open! Magnetic latches. I’m going to want to try this out as well. Thank goodness we don’t have floppy disks hanging around with all the magnetics in the lid and power cord port, you’d be bound to lose some data.
My last remaining question is where are the wireless antennas? Is there a huge bar on the hinge like the MacBook Pros, or are they installed in the screen area?
This laptop is very competitively priced. I think it will do very well.
Update: A very nice comparison chart is located here.